Skip to content
Research Interest: Automated and Secured Infrastructure Orchestration for Composable, SDI-oriented and Multi-Site Edge-Clouds Playground
- Multi-Site Edge-Clouds Playground (i.e., Testbed)
- Automated Box/Inter-connect Provisioning for Multi-Site Clusters
- In-kernel Network Monitoring and Tracing for a cluster with SmartNIC-acceleration support
- MultiSec (Multi-layered Security) Framework powered by Visibility Data
- 2016.03. ~ Current: Ph.D. Candidate of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, GIST, South Korea (Adviser: Prof. JongWon Kim)
- 2014. 03. ~ 2016. 02.: Master of Information and Communication Engineering, GIST, South Korea (Adviser: Prof. JongWon Kim)
Thesis Title: “SmartX Provisioning Framework: Automated Box/Inter-connect Provisioning for Building Multi-site Clouds”
- 2007. 03. ~ 2014.02.: Bachelor of Information and Computer Engineering, Ajou University, South Korea
- Distributed Secured Provisioning (DsP) Tool (https://github.com/SmartX-Team/DsP): DsP provides automated box provisioning of OpenStack-based multisite playground according to Playground Template by installing/configuring open-source software products.
- Overlay Virtual Networking (OvN) Tool (https://github.com/K-OpenNet/OpenStack-OvN): OvN automates box-to-box VxLAN inter-connect provisioning in multi-region OpenStack Cloud infrastructure by configuring OVS bridges, VxLAN tunnels, and OpenFlow flows based on pre-defined networking template.
- Cluster-Visibility Framework (https://github.com/SmartX-Team/Cluster-Visibility-Framework): Collect networking information (such as Source/Destination MAC/IP addresses) from boxes in a resource cluster and feed the data into MultiSec Framework. For monitoring, it leverages eBPF-based IO Visor and SmartNIC Acceleration (Took over from Taekho Nam)
- Cyber Security Defence Circulation Technology for Newly introduced Security Threats, IITP, January 2018 – Present,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task 3 and 5
- [Task 3] Cyber Defence Circulation Technology based on accelerated eBPF-based Tracing and 3D visualization.
- [Task 5] Integration and Verification of Cyber Defence Circulation Loop.
- 5G Communication with a Heterogeneous, Agile Mobile network in the Pyungchang wInter Olympic competioN (5G CHAMPION), IITP (collaborative project with EU), June 2017 – Present (2nd year)
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher supporting TEAM GIST
- Global SDN/NFV OpenSource Software Core Module/Function Development (K-ONE Project), IITP, June 2015 – Present
- Assigned Role & Task: A student representative of K-ONE Consortium. Leading Integration Task and OpenStack #1
- [Integration Task] DevOps-based Software development and verification over K-ONE Open Playground
- [OpenStack #1] SmartX Automated Provisioning Software for OpenStack-based Hyper-converged Boxes
- OF@KOREN Playground Deployment and Verification of IoT-SDN-Cloud-ready Open SmartX Platform (OF@KOREN Project 2015), NIA, July 2015 – Dec. 2015
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task #1
- [Task #1] Remote Installation/Configuration of SmartX Boxes integrated in Open SmartX Platform
- SDN-coordinated, hyper-convergence-in-a-box based DevOps service lifecycle management automation software and IoT gateway/ platform development, NIPA, July 2014 – Apr 2016,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task 3-1-(1) and 3-2-(1)
- [Task 3-1-(1)] Automation of Secured & Remote installation/configuration for Hyper-converged Boxes (2014-2015)
- [Task 3-2-(1)] Design and Development of Template-based Provisioning Software Framework for Hyper-converged Boxes (2015-2016)
- Realizing Secure SDN Infrastructure and Services for KOREN Future Improvement (OF@KOREN Project 2014), NIA, Aug. 2014 – Dec. 2014,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task #3-2
- [Task #3-2] Service Function Chaining for the realization of Secured CCTV-over-IP service.
- Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Template-based Automation with Distributed Secure Provisioning Installer for Remote Cloud Boxes,” in Proc. 7th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology Convergence (ICTC 2016), Jeju, Korea, Oct. 2016.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Jun-Sik Shin and JongWon Kim, “Deployment and Evaluation of Software-Defined Inter-Connections for Multi-Domain Federated SDN-Cloud,” in Proc. 11th International Conference on Future Internet Technologies (CFI 2016), Nanjing, China, June 2016.
- Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Automated overlay virtual networking manager for OpenFlow-based international SDN-Cloud testbed,” in Proc. 6th EAI International Conference on Cloud Computing (CloudComp 2015), Daejeon, Korea, Oct. 2015.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Junsik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Building and operating distributed SDN-Cloud testbed with hyper-convergent SmartX Boxes,” in Proc. 6th EAI International Conference on Cloud Computing (CloudComp 2015), Daejeon, Korea, Oct. 2015.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Namgon Lucas Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, Jeongju Bae, Muhammad Usman, Teck Chaw Ling, Parichat Panwaree, Phyo May Thet, Chaodit Aswakul, Nguyen Huu Thanh, Azeem Iqbal, Uzzam Javed, Muhammad U. Ilyas, and JongWon Kim, “OF@TEIN: A community effort towards open/shared SDN-Cloud virtual playground,” in Proc. APAN- Network Research Workshop 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Aug. 2015.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Jun-Sik Shin, Teck Chaw Ling, and JongWon Kim, “Leveraging ONOS SDN controllers for OF@TEIN SD-WAN experiments,” in Proc. APAN- Network Research Workshop 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Aug. 2015.
- Jungsu Han, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “S-Box virtualized playground for automated lightweight experiments on SDN and Cloud,” in Proc. 12th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON 2015), Hua-Hin, Thailand, June 2015.
- Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “SmartX Provisioning Framework for Automated Installation/Configuration of Multi-site based Cloud Infrastructure,” KIISE Transactions on Computing Practices, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 547-558, Nov, 2016.
- Ju-Seong Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Software Design of SDN-based Multi-access Control for Diversified IoT Devices”, in Proc. KICS (Korea Institute of Communications and Information Sciences) 2017 Winter Conference, Gangwon, Korea, Jan. 2018.
- Ju-Seong Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Preparing SDN-based Path Diversity Coordination for Multi-Access Edge Cloud,” in Proc. KICS (Korea Institute of Communications and Information Sciences) 2017 Fall Conference, Daegu, Korea, Nov. 2017.
- Jun-Sik Shin and JongWon Kim, “K-Cluster-based Playground for SDN/NFV/Cloud Integration,” in Proc. the 27th Joint Conference on Communications and Information (JCCI 2017), Busan, Korea, Feb. 2017.
- Jungi Lee, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Secured layer 3 inter-connection among SmartX sites for distributed multi-site cloud playground,” in Proc. KICS (Korea Institute of Communications and Information Sciences) 2015 Fall Conference, Seoul, Korea, Nov. 2015.
- JunSik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Functionality verification of automated remote installation of converged resource boxes for a distributed cloud,” in Proc. 27th Korean Signal Processing Conference (KSPC), Seoul, Korea, Sep. 2014.
- Korea Patent Application 10-2017-0167044 (2017.12.06): “A security orchestration system”
- Korea Patent Application 10-2016-0061537 (2016.05.19): “User interface for hybrid cloud”.
- Korea Patent Application 10-2014-0168773 (2014.11.28): “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (remote installation)”.
- Korea Patent Application 10-2014-0168779 (2014.11.28): “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (viral installation)”.
- Korea Patent Application 10-2014-0168782 (2014.11.28): “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (pipeline installation)”.
- Korea Patent Application 10-2014-0168784 (2014.11.28): “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (secure installation and utilization)”.
- “OpenStack Cloud and Resource Management/Monitoring Projects – Part 1”, Technical Workshop in IETF Mirror Forum, Aug. 2016.
- “K-Cluster Early Prototype Model for open development/operation of Composable UnderCloud”, Open Networking Korea 2016 & DevCon, Apr. 2016.
- “SmartX OpenStack Cloud towards HPC Cloud Provisioning/Operation Automation and Orchestration”, Meeting for Korea HPC System Operators, Apr. 2016.
- “SmartX OpenStack Clouds: Provisioning/Operation Automation and Orchestration”, 2015 KIISE Seminar, Nov. 2015.
- “DevOps-based OpenStack Cloud Provisioning and Operation over Distributed Infrastructure”, GIST Super Computing CENTer(SCENT) Summer Camp 2015, July 2015.
- “SmartX Playground for OpenFlow SDN and OpenStack Cloud realizations”, KOREN Net Challenge Camp 2015, July 2015.
- “SmartX Box Automated Provisioning”, Open Networking Winter Camp, Feb. 2015.
- “Building an OpenStack Cloud with Automated Installation & Configuration of White Boxes”, Communication+Mobile Cloud DIY, Sep. 2014.
- [K-ONE Technical Document #24] Moonjoong Kang and Jun-Sik Shin, “Construction of Multi-Site Clouds with OpenStack Tricircle over K-ONE Playground”, 2017
- [Future Internet Forum Issue Report 2016] JongWon Kim and Jun-Sik Shin, “Open μCloud Playground for Reference Model of Hyper-Converged Software-defined Infrastructure”, 2016.
- [K-ONE Technical Documents #1] Jun-Sik Shin, “Design and Implementation of OvN-Manager for overlay virtual networking over Multi-region OpenStack Cloud”, 2016.
- [SmartX Technical Documents #3] Jun-Sik Shin, “Design and implementation of SmartX Provisioning Framework for SmartX Virtual Playground provisioning”, 2015.
- [SmartX Technical Documents #1] Jun-Sik Shin, “Automation of Secured & remote installation/configuration over Hyper-Convergent Boxes”, 2015.
- [OF@KOREN Technical Documents #3] Jun-Sik Shin, “Automated Configuration of Virtual Playground and Service Chaining with OpenStack”, 2014.
- Programming Languages
- Python, Java, C++, Bash Script, GoLang
- OpenSource Software
- (Basic) Linux OS (mainly Ubuntu Distro)
- (Cloud) OpenStack Cloud OS
- (SDN & Overlay Virtual Networking) Open vSwitch, ONOS SDN Controller, Opendaylight SDN Controller
- (NFV) OpenBaton NFV MANO Framework
- (Provisioning) Vagrant, Ansible, Ubuntu MAAS, Cobbler
- (Virtualization & Containerization) XenServer, Libvirt, LXD, Docker, Docker Swarm
- (Visibility) IO Visor, Grafana, InfluxDB
- (Security) Wireguard
- Computing Hardware (Server)
- Intel ONP Server, IBM x3650 M4, Supermicro E200-8D, Supermicro E300-8D, Raspberry PI 2 model B
- Network Hardware (Router, Switch, and NIC)
- (Router) Juniper MX80 Router, Cisco Catalyst 4500
- (Switch) Dell PowerConnect 6248, Dell X1025, Znyx B1 Server/Switch
- (White Box Switch) Dell S-4048ON, EdgeCore AS5712-54X
- (SmartNIC) Mellanox ConnextX-4 Lx 25GbE
- 2017 GIST Research Assistant Scholarship for Ph.D. Students (High GPA)
- Sep. 2017 – Feb. 2018: Extern Researcher in Fraunhofer FOKUS, Berlin, Germany (Erasmus Mundus TEAM)