Skip to content
Research Interest: SmartX Provisioning/Multi-Sec Frameworks for Composable Cloud-native Multi-Site Edge-Clouds
- Multi-Site Cloud-native Edge-Clouds
- Automated Box/Inter-connect Provisioning of distributed clusters
- eBPF/XDP-based in-kernel Monitoring/Tracing with SmartNIC-acceleration support
- MultiSec (Multi-layered Security) Framework: Data-centric Vulnerability Detection and Reaction
- 2016.03. ~ Current: Ph.D. Candidate of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, GIST, South Korea (Adviser: Prof. JongWon Kim) (GPA 4.37 / 4.5)
- 2014. 03. ~ 2016. 02.: Master of Information and Communication Engineering, GIST, South Korea (Adviser: Prof. JongWon Kim) (GPA 4.08 / 4.5)
Thesis Title: “SmartX Provisioning Framework: Automated Box/Inter-connect Provisioning for Building Multi-site Clouds”
- 2007. 03. ~ 2014.02.: Bachelor of Information and Computer Engineering, Ajou University, South Korea (GPA 4.19 / 4.5)
- Distributed Secured Provisioning (DsP) Tool (https://github.com/SmartX-Team/DsP): DsP provides automated box provisioning of OpenStack-based multisite playground according to Playground Template by installing/configuring open-source software products.
- Overlay Virtual Networking (OvN) Tool (https://github.com/K-OpenNet/OpenStack-OvN): OvN automates box-to-box VxLAN inter-connect provisioning in multi-region OpenStack Cloud infrastructure by configuring OVS bridges, VxLAN tunnels, and OpenFlow flows based on pre-defined networking template.
- Cluster-Visibility Framework (https://github.com/SmartX-Team/Cluster-Visibility-Framework): Collect networking information (such as Source/Destination MAC/IP addresses) from boxes in a resource cluster and feed the data into MultiSec Framework. For monitoring, it leverages eBPF-based IO Visor and SmartNIC Acceleration (Took over from Taekho Nam)
- Global SDN/NFV OpenSource Software Core Module/Function Development (K-ONE Project), IITP, June 2015 – Present
- Assigned Role & Task: A student representative of K-ONE Consortium. Leading Integration Task and OpenStack #1
- [Integration Task] DevOps-based Software development and verification over K-ONE Open Playground
- [OpenStack #1] SmartX Automated Provisioning Software for OpenStack-based Hyper-converged Boxes
- Cyber Security Defence Circulation Technology for Newly introduced Security Threats, IITP, January 2018 – Present,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task 3 and 5
- [Task 3] Cyber Defence Circulation Technology based on accelerated eBPF-based Tracing and 3D visualization.
- [Task 5] Integration and Verification of Cyber Defence Circulation Loop.
- Assuring Data Exchange QoS for Tactical Network Operation, ADD, March 2018 – Apr. 2019,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher leading Task 3
- [Task 3] Per Application Traffic QoS Policy Control/Monitoring Technology Research
- AI/IoT/Blockchain-converged networking service on high-density distributed environment, Korea Internet & Security Agency (KISA), July 2018 – Dec. 2018,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher
- [Task] Middleware technology research for efficient blockchain data sharing
- Research on construction of trust-based very high-density network, Korea Internet & Security Agency (KISA), July 2018 – Dec. 2018,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher.
- 5G Communication with a Heterogeneous, Agile Mobile network in the Pyungchang wInter Olympic competioN (5G CHAMPION), IITP (collaborative project with EU), June 2017 – Present (2nd year)
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher supporting TEAM GIST
- OF@KOREN Playground Deployment and Verification of IoT-SDN-Cloud-ready Open SmartX Platform (OF@KOREN Project 2015), NIA, July 2015 – Dec. 2015
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task #1
- [Task #1] Remote Installation/Configuration of SmartX Boxes integrated in Open SmartX Platform
- SDN-coordinated, hyper-convergence-in-a-box based DevOps service lifecycle management automation software and IoT gateway/ platform development, NIPA, July 2014 – Apr 2016,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task 3-1-(1) and 3-2-(1)
- [Task 3-1-(1)] Automation of Secured & Remote installation/configuration for Hyper-converged Boxes (2014-2015)
- [Task 3-2-(1)] Design and Development of Template-based Provisioning Software Framework for Hyper-converged Boxes (2015-2016)
- Realizing Secure SDN Infrastructure and Services for KOREN Future Improvement (OF@KOREN Project 2014), NIA, Aug. 2014 – Dec. 2014,
- Assigned Role & Task: A participant researcher. Leading Task #3-2
- [Task #3-2] Service Function Chaining for the realization of Secured CCTV-over-IP service.
- Juseong Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “SDN-based Coordination for IoT-Cloud Connectivity employing Wired /Wireless Multi-Access SmartX Boxes,” in Proc. the APAN–Research Workshop (APAN-RW) 2019, Putrajaya, Malaysia, July, 2019.
- Moonjoong Kang, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Protected Service Mesh Coordination for Container-based 3-tier Service Traffic,” in Proc. the 33rd International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN 2019), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Jan. 2019.
- Jun-Sik Shin, Muhammad Usman, and JongWon Kim, “Conceptual Verification of Multi-Level Visibility Points for SmartX MultiView Security,” in Proc. the 9th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology Convergence (ICTC 2018), Jeju, Korea, Oct, 2018.
- Jun-Sik Shin, Mathias Santos de Brito, Thomas Magedanz, and JongWon Kim, “Automated Multi-Swarm Networking with Open Baton NFV MANO Framework,” in Proc. Workshop on Container-based systems for Big data, Distributed and Parallel computing (CBDP’2018) as part of 24th International European Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing (Euro-Par 2018), Turin, Italy, Aug. 2018.
- Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Template-based Automation with Distributed Secure Provisioning Installer for Remote Cloud Boxes,” in Proc. 7th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology Convergence (ICTC 2016), Jeju, Korea, Oct. 2016.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Jun-Sik Shin and JongWon Kim, “Deployment and Evaluation of Software-Defined Inter-Connections for Multi-Domain Federated SDN-Cloud,” in Proc. 11th International Conference on Future Internet Technologies (CFI 2016), Nanjing, China, June 2016.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Junsik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Building and operating distributed SDN-Cloud testbed with hyper-convergent SmartX Boxes,” in Proc. 6th EAI International Conference on Cloud Computing (CloudComp 2015), Daejeon, Korea, Oct. 2015.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Namgon Lucas Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, Jeongju Bae, Muhammad Usman, Teck Chaw Ling, Parichat Panwaree, Phyo May Thet, Chaodit Aswakul, Nguyen Huu Thanh, Azeem Iqbal, Uzzam Javed, Muhammad U. Ilyas, and JongWon Kim, “OF@TEIN: A community effort towards open/shared SDN-Cloud virtual playground,” in Proc. APAN- Network Research Workshop 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Aug. 2015.
- Aris Cahyadi Risdianto, Jun-Sik Shin, Teck Chaw Ling, and JongWon Kim, “Leveraging ONOS SDN controllers for OF@TEIN SD-WAN experiments,” in Proc. APAN- Network Research Workshop 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Aug. 2015.
- Jungsu Han, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “S-Box virtualized playground for automated lightweight experiments on SDN and Cloud,” in Proc. 12th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON 2015), Hua-Hin, Thailand, June 2015.
- Jun-Sik Shin, Moonjoong Kang, Juman Park, Daehoon Kwon, and JongWon Kim, “Conceptual Design of Networking Node with Real-time Monitoring for QoS Coordination of Tactical-Mesh Traffic,” Smart Media Journal, vol. 8, no.2, pp.29-38, June, 2019.
- Moonjoong Kang, Jun-Sik Shin, Juman Park, Chan Yi Park, and JongWon Kim, “Tactical Service Mesh for Intelligent Traffic QoS Coordination over Future Tactical Network,” Journal of the Korea Institute of Military Science and Technology (KIMST),22, no.3, pp.369-381, 2019.
- Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “SmartX Provisioning Framework for Automated Installation/Configuration of Multi-site based Cloud Infrastructure,” KIISE Transactions on Computing Practices, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 547-558, Nov, 2016.
- Jun-Sik Shin and JongWon Kim, “A Concept Design for Supporting eBPF-based Unified Resource Visibility for Hyper-converged SmartX Box,” in Proc. KICS (Korea Institute of Communications and Information Sciences) 2018 Summer Conference, Jeju, Korea, June, 2018.
- Ju-Seong Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Software Design of SDN-based Multi-access Control for Diversified IoT Devices”, in Proc. KICS (Korea Institute of Communications and Information Sciences) 2017 Winter Conference, Gangwon, Korea, Jan. 2018.
- Ju-Seong Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Preparing SDN-based Path Diversity Coordination for Multi-Access Edge Cloud,” in Proc. KICS (Korea Institute of Communications and Information Sciences) 2017 Fall Conference, Daegu, Korea, Nov. 2017.
- Jun-Sik Shin and JongWon Kim, “K-Cluster-based Playground for SDN/NFV/Cloud Integration,” in Proc. the 27th Joint Conference on Communications and Information (JCCI 2017), Busan, Korea, Feb. 2017.
- Jungi Lee, Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Secured layer 3 inter-connection among SmartX sites for distributed multi-site cloud playground,” in Proc. KICS (Korea Institute of Communications and Information Sciences) 2015 Fall Conference, Seoul, Korea, Nov. 2015.
- JunSik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Functionality verification of automated remote installation of converged resource boxes for a distributed cloud,” in Proc. 27th Korean Signal Processing Conference (KSPC), Seoul, Korea, Sep. 2014.
Extended Abstract for Poster Session (Not included in Proceedings)
- Jun-Sik Shin, Muhammad Usman, and JongWon Kim, “Multi-layer Onion-ring Visualization of Distributed Clusters for SmartX MultiView Visibility and Security,” 15th IEEE Symposium on Visualization for Cyber Security (VizSec 2018), Berlin, Germany, Oct. 2018.
- Jun-Sik Shin, and JongWon Kim, “Automated overlay virtual networking manager for OpenFlow-based international SDN-Cloud testbed,” in Proc. 6th EAI International Conference on Cloud Computing (CloudComp 2015), Daejeon, Korea, Oct. 2015.
- JongWon Kim, Moonjoong Kang, and Jun-Sik Shin, “APPARATUS AND METHOD FOR CONTROLLING TRAFFIC IN TACTICAL SERVICE MESH ENVIRONMENT”, Application 10-2018-0127283 (2018.10.24)/Registration 10-1943002 (2019.01.22).
- JongWon Kim, Moonjoong Kang, and Jun-Sik Shin, “CLOUD SERVICE SYSTEM TO WHICH SERVICE MESH”, Application 10-2018-0136897 (2018.11.08).
- JongWon Kim, and Jun-Sik Shin, “A security orchestration system”, Application 10-2017-0167044 (2017.12.06).
- JongWon Kim, Jun-Sik Shin, and Jeongju Bae, “User interface for hybrid cloud”, Application 10-2016-0061537 (2016.05.19).
- JongWon Kim, and Jun-Sik Shin, “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (remote installation)”, Application 10-2014-0168773 (2014.11.28).
- JongWon Kim, and Jun-Sik Shin, “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (viral installation)”, Application 10-2014-0168779 (2014.11.28).
- JongWon Kim, and Jun-Sik Shin, “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (pipeline installation)”, Application 10-2014-0168782 (2014.11.28).
- JongWon Kim, and Jun-Sik Shin, “Box, remote automatic installation system, remote installation system, and method for the remote installation (secure installation and utilization)”, Application 10-2014-0168784 (2014.11.28).
- “OpenStack Cloud and Resource Management/Monitoring Projects – Part 1”, Technical Workshop in IETF Mirror Forum, Aug. 2016.
- “K-Cluster Early Prototype Model for open development/operation of Composable UnderCloud”, Open Networking Korea 2016 & DevCon, Apr. 2016.
- “SmartX OpenStack Cloud towards HPC Cloud Provisioning/Operation Automation and Orchestration”, Meeting for Korea HPC System Operators, Apr. 2016.
- “SmartX OpenStack Clouds: Provisioning/Operation Automation and Orchestration”, 2015 KIISE Seminar, Nov. 2015.
- “DevOps-based OpenStack Cloud Provisioning and Operation over Distributed Infrastructure”, GIST Super Computing CENTer(SCENT) Summer Camp 2015, July 2015.
- “SmartX Playground for OpenFlow SDN and OpenStack Cloud realizations”, KOREN Net Challenge Camp 2015, July 2015.
- “SmartX Box Automated Provisioning”, Open Networking Winter Camp, Feb. 2015.
- “Building an OpenStack Cloud with Automated Installation & Configuration of White Boxes”, Communication+Mobile Cloud DIY, Sep. 2014.
- [Cyber Security Defense Cycle Technical Document #2] Jun-Sik Shin, “Design of Cyber Security Defense Cycle Framework”, 2018.
- [K-ONE Technical Document #24] Moonjoong Kang and Jun-Sik Shin, “Construction of Multi-Site Clouds with OpenStack Tricircle over K-ONE Playground”, 2017.
- [Future Internet Forum Issue Report 2016] JongWon Kim and Jun-Sik Shin, “Open μCloud Playground for Reference Model of Hyper-Converged Software-defined Infrastructure”, 2016.
- [K-ONE Technical Documents #1] Jun-Sik Shin, “Design and Implementation of OvN-Manager for overlay virtual networking over Multi-region OpenStack Cloud”, 2016.
- [SmartX Technical Documents #3] Jun-Sik Shin, “Design and implementation of SmartX Provisioning Framework for SmartX Virtual Playground provisioning”, 2015.
- [SmartX Technical Documents #1] Jun-Sik Shin, “Automation of Secured & remote installation/configuration over Hyper-Convergent Boxes”, 2015.
- [OF@KOREN Technical Documents #3] Jun-Sik Shin, “Automated Configuration of Virtual Playground and Service Chaining with OpenStack”, 2014.
- Programming Languages
- Python, Java, C++, Bash Script, GoLang
- OpenSource Software
- (Basic) Linux OS (mainly Ubuntu Distro)
- (Cloud) OpenStack Cloud OS
- (SDN & Overlay Virtual Networking) Open vSwitch, ONOS SDN Controller, Opendaylight SDN Controller
- (NFV) OpenBaton NFV MANO Framework
- (Provisioning) Vagrant, Ansible, Ubuntu MAAS, Cobbler
- (Virtualization & Containerization) XenServer, Libvirt, LXD, Docker, Docker Swarm
- (Visibility) IO Visor, Grafana, InfluxDB
- (Security) Wireguard
- Computing Hardware (Server)
- Intel ONP Server, IBM x3650 M4, Supermicro E200-8D, Supermicro E300-8D, Raspberry PI 2 model B
- Network Hardware (Router, Switch, and NIC)
- (Router) Juniper MX80 Router, Cisco Catalyst 4500
- (Switch) Dell PowerConnect 6248, Dell X1025, Znyx B1 Server/Switch
- (White Box Switch) Dell S-4048ON, EdgeCore AS5712-54X
- (SmartNIC) Mellanox ConnextX-4 Lx 25GbE
- GIST Research Assistant Scholarship for Ph.D. Students (High GPA), 2017
- 5 Times High GPA Scholarship in Ajou Unversity. (2008-1, 2012-1, 2012-2, 2013-1, 2013-2)
- The 3rd grade, Project “Kinect Education for Kids”, 4th Capstone Competitive Exhibition of Engineering College in Ajou University, Dec. 2013.
- Special Award, Porject “Together” (Team “Six Sense”), Seoul ACORD ITem Show 2012, Dec. 2012.
- Special Award by SK C&C (Within Top 21 among 1,000 attendees), TOPCIT (Test Of Practical Competency in ICT) 1st Competitive Exhibition, Oct. 2012.
- Sep. 2017 – Feb. 2018: Extern Researcher in Fraunhofer FOKUS, Berlin, Germany (Erasmus Mundus TEAM)
- Jan. 2013 – Feb. 2013: Intern at Media Solution Center (MSC) of Samsung Electronics